Bayer CEO Dr. Marijn Dekkers announces that Bayer MaterialScience will be transformed into a separate company.
Opening of the TDI plant
Conclusion of the one of the most important capital expenditure projects of the last decade: With the symbolic push of a button, Bayer CEO Dr. Marijn Dekkers, Patrick Thomas, CEO of Bayer MaterialScience, NRW Governor Hannelore Kraft and André van Broich, Chairman of the Dormagen Works Council, bring the state-of-the-art, large-scale TDI plant in Dormagen on stream.
Bayer MaterialScience is authorized to construct and operate a new TDI-scale plant at the Dormagen site.
A pilot plant for the production of chlorine is put into operation at the site in Krefeld-Uerdingen. It uses advanced oxygen-depolarized cathode technology.
Bayer MaterialScience announces plans to expand its MDI plant at the Brunsbüttel site.
In Brunsbüttel, the new facility for the production of carbon monoxide goes on stream.
The Bayer plants in Leverkusen, Dormagen and Krefeld-Uerdingen are collectively known as “CHEMPARK.” The operator is CURRENTA, the newly founded subsidiary of Bayer and LANXESS.
Bayer MaterialScience thus becomes an industrial park operator.
Bayer AG undergoes a comprehensive restructuring process. The plastics unit becomes Bayer MaterialScience, an independent subgroup.
The TDI facility in Brunsbüttel is expanded. Bayer also builds a new facility for the production of chlorine using state-of-the-art oxygen-depolarized cathode technology.
Bayer builds a production facility for aniline in Brunsbüttel.
Bayer starts producing MDI at its site in Brunsbüttel.
In Brunsbüttel, Bayer begins producing raw materials for dyes and also opens an on-site training facility.
Production gets under way at the Brunsbüttel site. The first product manufactured is TDI.
Bayer lays the cornerstone for its plant in Brunsbüttel.
Production of MDI, which is needed for rigid polyurethane foam, begins in Krefeld-Uerdingen.
In Dormagen, Bayer starts producing TDI, an important raw material for flexible polyurethane foam.
The first facility for the production of chlorine goes on stream at the Krefeld-Uerdingen site.
Industrial production of the polycarbonate Makrolon® begins in Krefeld-Uerdingen.
Bayer joins forces with Deutsche BP to found Erdölchemie GmbH in Dormagen.
Bayer produces Dralon®, the first polyacrylic fiber, at its plant in Dormagen.
Bayer chemist Hermann Schnell invents polycarbonate in the central laboratory of the Krefeld-Uerdingen plant.
Re-establishment of Bayer as "Farbenfabriken Bayer A.G.,” including the plants in the Lower Rhine region and Elberfeld.
Perlon®, the first polyamide fiber, is produced at the plant in Dormagen.
The British military government assumes full control of the plants in the Lower Rhine region. I.G. Farbenindustrie AG is dissolved.
Chemist Otto Bayer invents polyurethanes in Leverkusen. Because the advantages of the new material are initially unclear, a number of years pass before industrial production begins.
Bayer launches the copper synthetic silk Cupresa®, produced in Dormagen. The related product Cuprama® follows in 1934. This innovation makes silk stockings affordable for everyone.
Leading German chemical companies including Bayer merge to form I.G. Farbenindustrie AG.
Dormagen becomes the next Bayer site. The company starts producing sulfuric and picric acid there.
Leverkusen becomes Bayer’s headquarters.
Due to limited space at its original site in Wuppertal-Elberfeld, Bayer has exhausted its expansion options. Bayer therefore purchases land in Leverkusen – initially the alizarin red factory of Dr. Carl Leverkus & Söhne – and later additional land on the Rhine.
The general partnership “Friedr. Bayer et comp.” is converted into a stock company called “Farbenfabriken vorm. Friedr. Bayer & Co.” The company’s impressive growth in its formative years is also reflected in its employee numbers, which rose from three in 1863 to more than 300 in 1881.
The chemical industry is in full swing following the construction of a steam engine in a shed near the Rhine. In Krefeld-Uerdingen, the small chemistry company “Dr. Edmund ter Meer & Cie” is founded to produce synthetic dyes.
The general partnership “Friedr. Bayer et comp.” is founded in Barmen – now part of Wuppertal – by dye salesman Friedrich Bayer (1825 - 1880) and master dyer Johann Friedrich Weskott (1821 - 1876). The company manufactures and sells synthetic dyes such as alizarin red.
Carl Leverkus, manufacturer of synthetic dyes, moves his factory for ultramarine blue to Wiesdorf on the Lower Rhine. Houses are built around the new production facilities to accommodate employees who relocated with the factory. The complex is given the name Leverkusen after its manager.